Sign up to receive posts from The Exchange
Posted By: Susanne J. Phillips, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC
September 27, 2019
On August 23, 2019, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2019-20 Influenza Season. While we are very much aware of the importance of annual influenza vaccination practices and keep abreast of changes, each year brings additional vaccination combinations, formulations, and dosage changes.
This year, age indications have been modified for Aflura Quadrivalent—now indicated for ≥6 months. Dose volume modifications are also recommended for Afluria Quadrivalent and Fluzone Quadrivalent in pediatric populations.
The recommendation for optimal vaccination scheduling continues to be September through October, but vaccination should be offered as long as the flu season is active. The CDC does not recommend revaccination in areas where more than one outbreak in a single community has been reported.
Antiviral treatment recommendations remain consistent from previous years and should be prescribed as early as possible for any patient with confirmed or suspected influenza who is hospitalized; has severe, complicated, or progressive illness; or is at higher risk for influenza complications. Pregnant women can be treated with oral oseltamivir; baloxavir is not recommended for treatment during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Here are some links to this years’ influenza resources:
- Vaccine Recommendations: www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/rr/rr6803a1.htm?s_cid=rr6803a1_w
- Instructional Videos on Specimen Collection produced by Joint Commission (nasal throat swabs & nasopharyngeal swabs): www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrErzVxTes&feature=relmfu
- Influenza Antiviral Medications: www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/antivirals/index.htm
- Influenza Virus Testing: www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/index.htm
- Flu Activity & Surveillance: www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivitysurv.htm
- Grohskopf LA, Alyanak E, Broder KR, Walter EB, Fry AM, Jernigan DB. Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices – United States, 2019–20 influenza season. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2019; 68:1–21.