The Exchange

Commentary and Observations from
the Medical Front Lines

Cardiometabolic

<a href='/the-exchange/thoracic-aortic-aneurysm-part-2-'>Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm (Part 2)</a>

Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm (Part 2)

Thoracic aortic aneurysms often expand slowly over time and usually without symptoms, making them difficult to detect. Some aneurysms never rupture. Many start small and stay small, although many expand over time. How quickly an aortic aneurysm may grow is difficult to predict. Only about 5% of patients experience symptoms before an acute event occurs, and for the other 95% the first “symptom” is often death. more >

Found in: Cardiometabolic

<a href='/the-exchange/thoracic-aortic-aneurysm-part-1-'>Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm (Part 1)</a>

Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm (Part 1)

Thoracic aortic aneurysms (TAA) are located above the diaphragm, may involve one or more aortic segments (aortic root, ascending aorta, arch, or descending more >

<a href='/the-exchange/are-chemicals-making-us-fat-'>Are Chemicals Making Us Fat?</a>

Are Chemicals Making Us Fat?

Holistic health proponents are advocating to get rid of our so-common use of plastics for environmental as well as health reasons. For example, did you ever more >

<a href='/the-exchange/energy-drinks-tied-to-qtc-prolongation'>Energy Drinks Tied to QTc Prolongation</a>

Energy Drinks Tied to QTc Prolongation

Consuming caffeinated energy drinks is associated with QTc interval prolongation, which is a risk factor for torsades de pointes, according to a small study in more >

<a href='/the-exchange/palliative-care-for-heart-failure-an-early-discussion-would-benefit-patients'>Palliative Care for Heart Failure: An Early Discussion Would Benefit Patients</a>

Palliative Care for Heart Failure: An Early Discussion Would Benefit Patients

As clinicians, we care for patients over the course of a lifetime and often face the reality of patients who are challenged with end-of-life (EOL) decision more >

<a href='/the-exchange/no-difference-in-outcomes-and-treatment-no-matter-the-etiology-analysis-from-paradigm-hf-trial'>No Difference in Outcomes and Treatment No Matter the Etiology—Analysis from PARADIGM-HF Trial</a>

No Difference in Outcomes and Treatment No Matter the Etiology—Analysis from PARADIGM-HF Trial

Heart failure (HF) is a complicated disease state with multiple, staged therapies. Over the last couple of years, addition of a sacubitril/valsartan more >

<a href='/the-exchange/champs-hf-we-all-can-do-better-'>CHAMPS HF - We All Can do Better!</a>

CHAMPS HF - We All Can do Better!

Many of us manage patients with heart failure with a reduced ejection fraction, or HFrEF. The management of this patient population is complex, and most more >

<a href='/the-exchange/hypertension-in-the-pediatric-population'>Hypertension in the Pediatric Population</a>

Hypertension in the Pediatric Population

The prevalence of systemic hypertension (HTN) in the pediatric population is now commonly observed to be increasing, especially in view of the growing more >

<a href='/the-exchange/cardiovascular-health-promotion-a-must-read-for-pas-and-nps'>Cardiovascular Health Promotion—A Must Read for PAs and NPs</a>

Cardiovascular Health Promotion—A Must Read for PAs and NPs

PAs and NPs are encouraged to read a recent issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology on cardiovascular health and promotion. This more >

<a href='/the-exchange/was-the-apple-heart-study-virtually-useless-'>Was the Apple Heart Study Virtually Useless?</a>

Was the Apple Heart Study Virtually Useless?

When Apple included in the Apple Watch the capability of providing public health apps in detecting things such as falls and irregular pulses, many began to more >

<a href='/the-exchange/fluoroquinolone-use-and-the-potential-risk-for-aortic-aneurysm-or-dissection'>Fluoroquinolone Use and the Potential Risk for Aortic Aneurysm or Dissection</a>

Fluoroquinolone Use and the Potential Risk for Aortic Aneurysm or Dissection

Fluoroquinolones have long been a popular class of antibiotics for use in a myriad of infections. There are even newer fluoroquinolones that have been more >

<a href='/the-exchange/aspirin-use-for-ascvd-prevention'>Aspirin Use for ASCVD Prevention</a>

Aspirin Use for ASCVD Prevention

For decades aspirin has been a staple of primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) in at-risk populations, based on recommendations more >

<a href='/the-exchange/caution-population-is-having-more-heart-attacks-at-a-younger-age'>Caution: Population Is Having More Heart Attacks at a Younger Age</a>

Caution: Population Is Having More Heart Attacks at a Younger Age

This March, the American College of Cardiology will meet in New Orleans for their annual scientific assembly, and one major discussion will be the growing more >

Development Widget